Fun Fact Friday is back for another round!
Fun Fact #1: John Wayne was a big fan of Coach Sakamoto.
Fun Fact #2: Coach Sakamoto, with no previous swimming experience of his own, trained swimmers to become Olympic champions. But did you know that’s not his only miracle? When he was nine years old, Coach Sakamoto was riding a bike when he was hit by a truck. He spent three months recovering in the hospital but went on to live a long 91 years.
Three Year Swim Club, by Lee Tonouchi and directed & choreographed by Keo Woolford, is inspired by the true life story of Soichi Sakamoto, who trained the youth of Maui to swim in the plantation irrigation ditches on their path to becoming Olympic champions. Set on the island of Maui in the 1930′s, this heartwarming play becomes transcendent as the art of hula becomes the metaphor for competitive swimming.
Three Year Swim Club, back by popular demand, returns to the David Henry Hwang Theater for a limited 4 week engagement, starting July 27!
When: July 27 – August 19, 2012
Tickets: Purchase tickets online here or call Box Office at (213) 625-7000×20.
- Performance Runs Fri – Sat at 2pm and 8pm, Sun at 2pm$26-$36
- Student and Senior Discounts $5 off regular ticket price
- Group Discounts available. Call for details
- Wine Down Fridays Complimentary glasses of red or white wine for 8pm performances (must be 21+ years of age)
Save the Dates:
- July 28, 2012 An Evening for Mahalo hosted by the Thomas Roswell Bancroft Family – Special VIP Event. Limited seating $50 per ticket.
- August 4 @ 3:30-7:30pm Family Fun Day – Enjoy summer refreshments and activities for the whole family! For both 2pm and 8pm performances, purchase on adult ticket and get one free child ticket (17 and under). Each additional child ticket $10. Recommended for children 7 and up. Please call Box Office at (213) 625-7000 x 20 to order tickets.
Read more about the return of Three Year Swim Club here.